+ 1 617 216 3209
HARVARD UNIVERSITY, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA.
MASTER IN PUBLIC POLICY (MPP), concentration in International Security, June 2002.
Thesis: “Voice and Opportunity in Egyptian Civil Society”
DUKE UNIVERSITY, Durham, NC.
A.B. with Honors in Political Science and Comparative Areas Studies, Magna Cum Laude, May 2000.
Thesis: “NGOs and the PNA in the Gaza Strip: Between Integration and Conflict”
Achievements, Awards, and Leadership
• Steering Committee, BBC Palestine Media Project, 2008-present.
• Advisory Board Member, This Week in Palestine, 2006-2007.
• Barbara Jordan Award for Women’s Leadership, JFK School of Government, Harvard University.
• Women and Public Policy Internship Award, JFK School of Government, Harvard University.
• Public Service Fellowship, JFK School of Government, Harvard University.
• Clinton Scholarship, for Palestinians excelling in leadership, public service, and intellectual ability.
• Alona E. Evens Prize in International Law, Duke University.
• Duke Program on International Law and International Institutions Research Award, Duke University.
Independent Freelance Journalist and Photographer 2004-Present
• Published in Washington Post, the Guardian, International Herald Tribune, Le Monde Diplomatique,
the New Statesman, Aljazeera.net English, and the Daily Star; appearances on CNN, NPR, BBC among
• Maintained award-winning blog, Raising Yousuf and Noor: Diary of a Palestinian Mother
• Co-created, directed and narrated two short films, aired on Aljazeera International: Tunnel Trade and
A Rafah Playground.
• Authored “Gaza Strip” section of Palestine and the Palestinians guidebook, Alternative Tourism Group
• Co-created and narrated You Are Not Here urban tourism project: Gaza/Tel Aviv iteration.
Aljazeera.net (English), Gaza Correspondent Gaza: 2003-2006
• Interviewed variety of political and social figures throughout Gaza Strip, West Bank, and Middle East.
• Prepared and wrote eight or more news reports, feature articles, or vox pops per month on wide range
Pacifica Radio’s Free Speech Radio News (www.FSRN.org), Gaza Correspondent Gaza: 2004-2006
• Produced news headlines and news packages and reported live.
The Guardian Unlimited, regular contributor: ‘Comment is Free’ Gaza: January 2006-Present
Kennedy School Citizen, News Editor and Staff Reporter Cambridge, MA: 2001-2002
• Chose and assigned newsworthy topics and recruited writers.
• Edited staff articles; Investigated and wrote independent articles.
Special Skills and Interests
Language: Proficiency in Arabic and English; basic understanding of Hebrew.
Other: New media; media activism; gastronomy.
Strong oratory, negotiation, research and writing skills; kickboxing, soccer, tennis.
*References and work samples available upon request